Explains what the feature is or what its benefits are to the user or customer.
Columns have a Column Type based on the kind of data they store. This is set automatically upon defining the table, but in some cases, you may want to change the type.
- ATTRIBUTE contains a property, like name, address, or id number.
- MEASURE contains a numeric value that can be compared in a meaningful way using math, such as a count or measurement.
When a new table is created, the default column type is set according to the data type defined for each column. By default, columns with the numeric data types (FLOAT, DOUBLE, INT, or BIGINT) are assigned the type MEASURE. Columns with VARCHAR, BOOL, or date/time data types are assigned the type ATTRIBUTE.
- ID numbers
- Key values that are primarily used for joining tables
- Product number or SKU
- Sports team member jersey number
- Year, when separate from a date (e.g. 1999, 2000)
You can change the column type by modifying the Column Type setting.
- Find the Column Type for the column whose type you want to change. If you are editing the model file, use the setting Type.
- Change it to either MEASURE or ATTRIBUTE.
- Save your changes.